top of page

Citizenship represents the final stage of the Immigration process. As as a United States Citizen you enjoy the rights of voting, the full protection of the United States when you travel, no longer being deportable, the ability to bring more of your relatives to the United States, and much more. Applying for citizenship can seem like a complex and scary process but with the help of Cultura Law you will be taking the oath in no time.


How can I become a U.S. Citizen?


Citizen at Birth


  • You can become a citizen at birth if you were born in the United States, certain territories or outlying possessions of the United States, and you are subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.

  • You have a parent or parents who were United States Citizens at the time of your birth, you were born in a foreign country and you meet certain other requirements.

Derived Citizenship


  • Citizenship conveyed to children through the naturalization of parents or, under certain circumstances, to foreign-born children adopted by U.S. citizen parents, provided certain conditions are met.

  • To derive citizenship from your parents consider the chart to the right




Naturalization is the process by which a foreign national can obtain U.S. citizenship. The process of applying for natrualization (citizenship) involves filling out an application, having biometrics (fingerprints) taken, having an interview and test. There are certain requirements that a person must fufil prior to being eligible for citizenship. 


Who Qualifies for Citizenship? 


A foreign national can apply for citizenship if: 


  • He or She is 18 or older at the time of filing. 


  • He or She is green card holder for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing or He or She has been a permanent resident for 3 years and obtained permanant residency through marriage to a U.S. Citizen and are married to the same U.S. Citizen at the time of filing. 


  • He or She lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of filing the application.


  • He or She has continuously residing in the United States as a green card holder for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application. 


  • He or She is physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application. 


  • He or She has continuously resided within the United States from the date of application for naturalization up to the time of naturalization. 


  • He or She is able to read, write, and speak English and have knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government (civics).


  • He or She is a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States during all relevant periods under the law.


​If a foreign national is a member of the United States Armed Forces he or she may have a special pathway to citizenship. 


Your child may qualify for naturalization if you are a U.S. citizen, the child was born outside the U.S., the child is currently residing outside the U.S. and certain other requirements are met. 


If you wonder what the interview will be like check out the video below. 

Citizenship/ Ciudadanía

Frequently Asked Questions:


Q. Can I take the natrualization test in my native language?


A. Yes,  if you are over 50 years old and have been a permanent resident for 20 years OR you are over 55 years old and have been a permanent resident for 15 years or more. 


Q.  If I obtained my permanent residency through VAWA because I was domestically abused by my U.S. Citizen spouse, do I have to wait 5 years to apply fro natrualization?


A. Yes, you can apply as for citizenship in 3 years as if you were still married to your spouse. 


Q. If I left the United States for more than 6 months at a time can I apply for citizenship? 


A. Yes, but we will have to prove that you did not abandon your permanent residence this can mean we have to file an extra aplication to preserve your residency. 


Q. If I have a medical condition that does not allow me to learn English is there anything I can do? 


A. Yes, if your medical condition is documented by a medical doctor that doctor can fill out form N-648 to corroborate your assertion that you cannot learn English. 


Q. If I am illiterate in my native language can I ask for an exception to the natrualization test? 


A. No. 


Q. How much does immigration charge to process my natrualization application? 


A. $ 680.00


Q. If I am on government assistance like food stamps is ther any way I can get a break on the cost of the natrualization application?


A.  Yes, if you are a person who is recieving a means test benifit we may be able to get the immigration fee waived. 


Q. If I loose my natrualization certificate do I need to apply for citizenship again?


A. No you can apply for a duplicate certificate. 

Helpful Tips: 


If you are in the process of natrualization or if you want to know whether you are ready before you apply follow the link below and take a mock natrualization test. There are also other study materials below. Click the link to go to the material. 


bottom of page